Thursday 11 October 2012

Pin It

Widgets

Shut Up!

Let's face it, one of the hardest things for us teachers to do sometimes is to shut up. We can feel the need to keep teaching all the time and somewhere deep in our subconscious  we have been led to believe that teaching means talking.

Maybe we don't realise what we are doing, or we find it hard to resist. We might be waiting for the training that makes us realise it's okay to be quiet for a while, or we might have a great story we want to share and half way through we realise we're really going on a bit too much here. 

Either way, it's surprisingly hard and many teachers, I believe, undervalue the importance of silence and quiet in the classroom. So to help you, I've made some posters which you can print and pin up in your office, teacher's room or on the back wall of your classroom* as a reminder that sometimes less is more...



  




And just to be provocative...




These posters were made with a poster generator to promote the new movie Shut Up and Play The Hits, documenting the farewell performance of the wonderful LCD Soundsystem, the best band of the last thirty years. You can make your own Shut Up posters here, but be warned it's not always classroom appropriate due to the language employed by other users of the site. 

If you think I missed anything, make your own poster and I'll add it to here.

Here's one from Vicky Loras:



And one from Phil Longwell:





*I should have used a different font for this.

6 comments:

  1. I remember being taught when you ask a question be sure to wait at least five seconds for an answer. And then, don't answer it yourself. Rephrase the question. Tough to remember but crucial in getting students involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice humor to drive home a good point! Although I can't exactly post them in my classroom (other classes are also held in them) I just might print them out and glue them to the course booklets that we have to use! Even for tchrs who know that they don't have to always act as 'the sage on stage' this is a good reminder that not talking doesn't equate not teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, LCD is breaking up after just two albums? I'm heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the slow reply everyone, I was hoping to fix the 'reply' buttons but I guess that'll have to wait.

    Kate - Thanks!

    Carissa - That's a great lesson all teachers should learn right at the beginning of their careers.

    Christina - I was being a bit tongue in cheek when i was suggesting you should put them up in the classroom but I'd be delighted if you used them in your course booklets. Send me a picture!

    Tyson - Sorry to break the bad news, but the good news is that they released three albums so you've got an extra one to go and find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three? I'll have to check out the third.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © TheTeacherJames Design by O Pregador | Blogger Theme by Blogger Template de luxo | Powered by Blogger